If you live in student accommodation in the UK, you must insure it. This will allow you to get a good compensation in case of theft of your personal belongings for example. However, there are several offers, each with specific guarantees and clauses. Faced with this multitude, making the right choice will not be easy. To help you find a good student home insurance uk, here are some very practical tips!
What does a student home insurance cover ?
Like any other housing, a student residence is not immune to accidents and damages. At any time, you can be a victim of burglary, theft of personal belongings or water damage. But if you have taken out insurance, you will be covered. In case of damage, your insurer will compensate you, so that you don’t have to pay the different expenses directly from your pocket.
But what exactly does the company cover you for? Well, here is an overview of what is covered by a student home insurance:
- Water damage and freezing
- Fire damage
- Natural disasters
- Vandalism / Property damage
- Property taken away on holiday
- Criminal defense and recourse following an accident
NB: you can add other guarantees to your policy if you wish.
What does student home insurance don’t cover ?
You can’t claim everything from your insurance. Yes, your insurer cannot assist you in case of :
- Damage to your home caused by wear and tear: for example, if you have been broken into because of your old lock, it will be difficult to get a good compensation.
- Damage caused in your home in case of prolonged absence and not reported: you may go on vacation in another country. Instead of doing 1 month as planned, you decide to extend your stay and during this period, a water damage occurs in your home. This is one of the many situations where insurance companies have difficulty intervening.
- Burglary in the common areas of your home
- Damage caused by accident
- Motorized vehicles such as aircraft and others
Also, this insurance does not cover far from your home. In other words, if you keep your bicycle or other personal belongings in a place other than your home, you can’t call on the insurance company if a problem occurs. But you can always subscribe to a separate cover if you need it.
How to get the best student home insurance uk?
It’s easy to find student home insurance in the UK. Just type into a search engine: student home insurance UK and you will get several offers. But it is not easy to find the one that best suits your needs. To find such a company, you can use these tips:
- Be covered by your parents’ home insurance: it is more convenient and advantageous for you.
- Use online insurance comparison tools: with this solution, you have more chances to find the company that suits you best. Indeed, these tools present you with several offers that match your profile and you choose the one that suits you best
- Compare several quotes: yes, don’t rush into getting student home insurance uk. Ask for several quotes from several insurers first. This will allow you to choose the best offer at the best price.